Saturday, January 11, 2014

All of a sudden...

        First semester of my senior year is almost over!!! Can you believe it! T-5 months... Yikes!

Yesturday in Sociology we got an assignment to finish the statement>>>
                                      All of a sudden, I found myself thinking about sociology when I...
                                                      So HERE IT GOES:)

          For our annual Christmas card my Dad likes to be "unique."  Instead of writing out a long essay of our family accomplishments of the year, he makes a spread sheet of random questions for us to answer so our fellow neighbors and friends can learn strange facts about us:)

          This year one of the questions we had to answer was," What is a talent you wihs you had?" My siblings and I wrote things like singing, cooking, dancing, ect, while my 13 year old brother Christian wrote, "Black Man Hops." 

          Having no idea what this meant, I asked him.  In a very dumbfounded way, as if it were common sense he replied," Paige, I want to be able to jump like a black man. Then I'd be REALLY good at basketball!"


          After hearing this explanation my brother Preston confronted Christian telling him he was being racist.  Now this is when my sociology experience kicked in.
  I was able to explain to them that racism is actually thinking that your race is superior, when Christian was not degrading black people.

          Instead he was stereotyping, generalizing that all black people can jump really high.  I hope they learned something that day, but I'm a little doubtful:) LOVE YOU CHRISTIAN!








No comments:

Post a Comment